Despite the fact that I felt overwhelmingly tired when I left home today, coming to class this evening actually turned out to be an enjoyable experience. I had the chance to discuss my opinion, which I love doing, and even worked with others on what I had written regarding The Running Man (no relation to the song "Running Man" that I like) and Cinderella. The Cinderella readings were very interesting, but it was not my first introduction to fairytale's and fables outside of the clenches of Disney's marketing schemes. Perhaps I prefer the darker stories because they contain a sense of realism that life isn't always so happily ever after. Also, I hate the idea of a Cinderella sitting around and waiting for her handsome prince to come and save her. Not only that, but she had to dress up and make herself "beautiful" for him to even see her. It's that kind of message that has warped so much of society that people have to fit a certain "image" to have that kind of lifestyle. I prefer real stories of happily ever after, true events of people overcoming the odds to create a better life for themselves.
As a whole, class was a success.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It seemed like the main focus of the story was to tell the story of how hansel and gretel ended up in the woods. That is a great idea but maybe a greater focus on what happened at the home before such as why the stepmother hated the children and why there was stress in the house would be enough without having to retell the part with the witch and the chocolate house. I would be great to be able to figure out in these stories why the stepmothers are so often hated and so often hate the children.
ReplyDelete